Monday 16 March 2009

Last post from this computer!

I'm getting a new laptop tomorrow! (I desperately need it... this one's got no battery and the screen's falling off).

This improvisation is inspired by the Burgundian Cadence found in Machaut and other 14th century music. Interesting how 'oriental' it sounds.. is that just that my fabrication?

The bitonal bits are also interesting. How do the different tunes maintain their consistency against each other. Astrid organised my teenage philosophy last week where I theorised about the consistency of tunes. Why can't you develop a tune? (Percy Grainger said you could only repeat them..) What gives a tune 'completeness'? What makes them memorable? And when two are played against one another in different keys, how do we hear 'two tunes'?

No comments: